* Please note, General Specifications are subject to change and should be confirmed with Rapido Trimarans Limited.
- LOA: 12.00m (39′ 4")
- LWL: 11.96m (39′ 3")
- BOA: 8.80m (28′ 10")
- BOA (folded): 5.0m (16′ 4")
- BOA (float to float CL): 7.45m (24′ 5")
- Displacement (light): 4.8t
- Displacement (heavy): 6.2t
- Freeboard: 1.50m (4′ 11")
- “T" foil rudder board up: 0.56m (1′ 10")
- “T" foil rudder board down: 1.40m (4′ 7")
- Headroom: 2.0m in saloon and 1.9m in forward cabin
Download pdf documents
- SA Main: 65m2 (700sqf) (Wing mast area, 7.0m2 (75sqf))
- SA Solent: 32m2 (344sqf)
- SA Staysail: 13m2 (140sqf)
- SA Reacher: 80m2 (861sqf)
- SA Asym Spin: 158m2 (1,700sqf)
- Mast Length Max: 17.25m (56′ 7")
- Mast Height above DWL: 19.58m (64′ 3")
* Note: The design is for an ocean-going boat, built to CE Category A standards.
The mast height is capped at 65ft above the water so that it fits under all the bridges in intracoastal waterways.
The Rapido 40 – The World’s Ultimate Folding Cruising Trimaran
The countdown is on! The all new Rapido 40 Trimaran will be launched in December, 2020, with the first going to Thailand. Another four have been sold into the US, UK and the Mediterranean.
World acclaimed designers, Morrelli & Melvin have ensured that the DNA of the Rapido 60 has been incorporated into the Rapido 40. Expect a state of the art trimaran designed and built for:
- Podium performances
- Fast passage-making
- Classic cruising
- Couples; and
The Rapido 40 is designed and engineered as a high tech, all-carbon, performance cruiser with a self-tacking jib, carbon spreaderless mast and an option for rolling furl boom.
The interiors have super lightweight, strong, custom made furniture; even the countertops are carbon! The flooring is made from cork.
While others are compelled to motor away from any weather systems best avoided, the Rapido can be powered up to simply sail away with the skipper maintaining complete control.
Safety is a big factor in our design and construction. As well as carbon-foam construction, there are numerous watertight bulkheads and bulkheads with no through penetrations below the water line. The engine compartment is contained within watertight bulkheads.
Essentially, if you have a passion for sailing, this is the boat for you!
The Rapido 40 is being built by Rapido Trimarans’ exclusive builder, Triac Composites.
The asymmetric twin “C” foils will give the Rapido 40 more lift than usual resulting in significant increase in performance, both upwind and downwind. Also, the C foils eliminate the need for a central daggerboard which increases the amount of interior space. It also creates 360 degree visibility. (In the diagram above, note the “T" rudder foil in the “down" position.)
For normal day sailing or cruising, both C foils can be in the “down" position or one raised without adding material drag.
Advantages of the Rapido 40
Customers always have options in the market. We believe the Rapido 40 will capture the interest of this segment for the following reasons:
- The boat has pedigree being designed and engineered by the world’s best, Morrelli and Melvin, in the US.
- All carbon construction
- “C" foil daggerboards (see below)
- Easier and safer to handle with self-tacking jib, roller furler head sails and spreaderless mast
- CE A Certification for safer ocean crossings
- Better weight distribution with heavy items (eg engine) in the middle of the boat
- Functional interior, more spacious (eg C foils removed the centre daggerboard), raised saloon (ie, it is not located down in the hull) and finished to a high standards
- Latest high tech design and engineering (see Morrelli & Melvin) in this all-carbon boat: infused carbon foam sandwich construction with beams, daggerboards, ruddercase and blade made from prepreg carbon and cured in autoclave, carbon mast spreaderless, carbon counter tops, self tacking solent/ jib
- Two separate double cabins
- Folding floats (reduced fees for marina, hard stand and shipping). See more below!
We believe the Rapido 40 very clearly sets itself apart from other offerings in the market in terms of both performance and value. Please independently check our claim!
A FOLDING MECHANISM FOR THE 21ST CENTURY
Floats on the Rapido 40 remain in upright position during and at completion of folding process.[/caption]
The performance of trimarans is well documented.
In fact, some say that the only thing better than a trimaran is a folding trimaran. And here, the Rapido 40’s patented folding system excels, as shown below:
- Access to single marina berths
- Access to all marinas
- Reduced marina, hard stand and shipping costs
- Floats are kept in upright position (preventing barnacle and/or algae growth on sides of floats)
- Remaining in the upright position, stability of trimaran is maintained during folding and while in the folded position.
- High tech design by Morrelli & Melvin (to see some of the high tech tools that Morrelli & Melvin use during the design phase, click here).
- Patented Design (concept by Paul Koch, Australia Patent Application No. 2019902014)
- Wa5tch the video below of the folding mechanism on the Rapido 50.
Standard Shipping requirements
- 1 x high cube standard container; and
- 1 x over width flat rack, 3.4m wide x 2.8m high (including shipping cradle)
The mast will be shipped in two sections.
Trimarans are safe, powerful and fast as demonstrated by the fact that they consistently win races and hold the solo speed record for circumnavigating the world.
Safety at sea is the No. 1 priority and this thinking is reflected throughout the design and construction of the Rapido.
The Rapido 40 has some truly amazing living spaces which provide more open, private and intimate areas than monohulls or catamarans.
Trimarans are comfortable on all points of sail.
The combination of safety, performance and comfort put the Rapido in a league of its own. The enormous trampoline nets add fun and excitement as you watch the blue water rush underneath you – or as you lounge on the nets while gently floating over a reef. You will be instantly hooked..
look inside the
Trimarans in the media
Below is a list of articles which have appeared in various publications regarding Rapido Trimarans.
- Rapido Trimarans relocates production arm into Vietnam, SEA Yachting magazine, Nov/Dec 2019.
- Rapido Trimarans, On the March, Seahorse Magazine, October 2019.
- (French) Rapido 40, un trimaran repliable de 12 m, Bateaux.com, 29 August 2019.
- Rapido 60 – The most exciting production multihull in the world? (or click here for selection of quotes), Multihulls Magazine, Summer (July) 2019.
- Rapido, Cruising Yacht Club of South Australia, June 2019 (pp23-24)
- Ineffable’s Steve Bourne: I’m a nutter for sailing, Daily Herald, 26 February 2019.
- Rapido 60′ the fastest production multihull in the world?, International Multihulls World, December 2017
- RAPIDO 60’ : Le multicoque de série habitable le plus rapide du monde?, Multihulls World, 23 November 2017
- Finding Mrs Right, Boating New Zealand, August 2016
- Blue Water Cruising Trimaran, Australian Multihulls World, August 2016
- Rapido 60, Cruising World, 25 August, 2016
- Rapido 60, by Emma Bamford, Sailing Today.