- Length: 18.1m (59.3 ft)
- Beam: 11.7m (38.4 ft)
- Draft: 0.75m (2.5 ft)
- Displacement (light): 10,000kg (22,046 lb)
- Displacement (max load): 12,000kg (26,456 lb)
- Headroom (average): 2.1m (6 ft 9”)
- Mast height above water: 25.3m (83 ft)
For detailed specifications, download the pdf document by clicking onto Rapido 60 Specifications.
“I sailed Rapido Hull #01 on the Mediterranean Sea the other day and we were doing 14 knots upwind while cooking in the spacious kitchen!" Ferdinand van West (former F18 World Champion working with designers, Morrelli & Melvin). (Click here for original article.)
Billed as the World’s Ultimate Ocean Cruising Trimaran, the Rapido 60 really is the Queen of the Oceans. It offers speed, safety, performance – and luxury.
The inspiration behind the Rapido 60 comes from Paul Koch (co founder of Rapido Trimarans), arguably, the man who has built more production trimarans than anyone else on the planet.
The foam sandwich and carbon construction provides an extremely strong and rigid structure that is relatively light and designed to withstand the might of the oceans and offer speed in friendlier conditions. The foam sandwich construction also offers a high degree of insulation making the Rapido cooler when the sun beats down.
Just how tough are the composites on the Rapido?
An ocean-crossing trimaran must be strong. Very strong.
As big as a 60′ trimaran is, it is but a floating cork on a boundless ocean.
Morelli & Melvin enjoy a very strong international reputation which includes designing entries for the America’s Cup. Their computer modelling said that the boat was very strong. And so we tested it.
We bolted the centre hull of the Rapido to the factory floor in HCMC. We then brought in two mobile cranes – each took a diagonal corner of the two outer hulls. With one diagonal corner each, the two cranes began to lift while the trimaran’s centre hull remained bolted to the floor, causing it to twist. One tonne of lifting pressure… Two tonnes… Three tonnes…
As the trimaran twisted it began to creak and groan. But the sensitive electronic equipment we had measuring every move and twist remained unphased. Everything was within design parameters.
Seven tonnes… Eight tonnes… Nine tonnes…
The pressure was eased and the Rapido spring back into its original condition – totally unaffected by the enormous twisting pressure that had been placed upon it.
The computer modelling had accurately predicted the enormous structural strength of the composites used in the Rapido. The Rapido is built to take on the oceans. Rapido is, simply, the Queen of the Oceans.
A stunning success for the Rapido and another milestone for composites.
Trimarans are safe, powerful and fast as demonstrated by the fact that they consistently win races and hold the solo speed record for circumnavigating the world.
Safety at sea is the No. 1 priority and this thinking is reflected throughout the design and construction of the Rapido.
The Rapido 60 has some truly amazing living spaces which provide more open, private and intimate areas than monohulls or catamarans.
Trimarans are comfortable on all points of sail.
The combination of safety, performance and comfort put the Rapido in a league of its own. The enormous trampoline nets add fun and excitement as you watch the blue water rush underneath you – or as you lounge on the nets while gently floating over a reef. You will be instantly hooked..
look inside the
60in the media
Below is a list of articles which have appeared in various publications regarding Rapido Trimarans.
- Rapido Trimarans relocates production arm into Vietnam, SEA Yachting magazine, Nov/Dec 2019.
- Rapido Trimarans, On the March, Seahorse Magazine, October 2019.
- (French) Rapido 40, un trimaran repliable de 12 m, Bateaux.com, 29 August 2019.
- Rapido 60 – The most exciting production multihull in the world? (or click here for selection of quotes), Multihulls Magazine, Summer (July) 2019.
- Rapido, Cruising Yacht Club of South Australia, June 2019 (pp23-24)
- Ineffable’s Steve Bourne: I’m a nutter for sailing, Daily Herald, 26 February 2019.
- Rapido 60′ the fastest production multihull in the world?, International Multihulls World, December 2017
- RAPIDO 60’ : Le multicoque de série habitable le plus rapide du monde?, Multihulls World, 23 November 2017
- Finding Mrs Right, Boating New Zealand, August 2016
- Blue Water Cruising Trimaran, Australian Multihulls World, August 2016
- Rapido 60, Cruising World, 25 August, 2016
- Rapido 60, by Emma Bamford, Sailing Today.